collection is hosted in the loggias of the small 14th
century cloister annexed to the ancient Franciscan
excellent architectural complex was built in 1361 by the
Comacine masters, as evidenced by an inscription in the
entrance and by the symbols carved in some stone blocks of
the west wall which are still visible from the adjacent
Over the centuries the complex was
repeatedly restructured and only the outer walls have
preserved their original characteristics. The interior of
the church was completely restored in the late 1700s.
Officially opened in 1966, the Museum consists of a
section dedicated to sacred arts and of a paint gallery.
It displays the most significant exhibits of the rich
artistic heritage of both the monastery and other
Franciscan churches: panel paintings and canvases, a
precious fresco from St. Francisí Church, vestments,
furnishings and paraments from the 14th to the 18th
century, which testify to the presence of the friars and
to their role in the evolution of the Republicís arts and
small halls annexed to the Museum host a collection of
paintings and sculptures by Emilio Ambron dating back to
the early 1900s and donated by the artist himself.