Government Building stands today on the site of the
ancient Building called Domus Magna Comunis, which
was probably built at the end of the 14th century and,
after being restored several times, was demolished at the
end of the 19th century as it was falling into ruins.
The new Government Building, built
between 1884 and 1894, was designed by the Roman architect
Frencesco Azzurri, President of the Accademy of St. Luca
in Rome, who, interpreting the expectations and tastes of
San Marino authorities, reproduced the simple and austere
style of the 13th - 14th century buildings of Italian
Restructuring works, in
particular as regards stone parts, were entrusted to local
workers headed by the master builder Giuseppe Reffi from
San Marino, while pictorial decorations, wrought-iron
manufactured items and furnishings were produced by
foreign artisans specially chosen by Azzurri.
After a hundred years of life, the
building, which had become inadequate for todayís safety
and functionalism needs, underwent a complex restoration.
The intervention was entrusted to the internationally
renowned architect Gae Aulenti and concluded on 30
September 1996 with a solemn inauguration.
The building, where official State
ceremonies take place, is the seat of the Republicís main
institutional and administrative bodies:
the Captains Regent,
the Great and General Council,
the Council of the XII,
Congress of State.