by the great stone staircase leading to the balcony of the
mezzanine floor and to the upper floors, the entrance hall
is characterised by a sober and elegant style.
ceiling, with its beams in polychrome wood, and the
decorative frieze running all around dampen the austerity
of the stone walls and confer unity to the hall.
On the left wall is a huge sandstone
baroque coat of arms of the Republic which used to
decorate the façade of the old Government Building; on the
right, under the great staircase, is a bronze bust of
Giosuè Carducci by Tullo Golfarelli from Cesena, in
memory of the eminent poet who, on 30 September 1894, made
the inaugural speech for the new Building.