The idea of
opening a museum in San Marino is to be ascribed to Count
Luigi Cibrario, Minister of Vittorio Emanuele II and
Plenipotentiary (counsellor and delegate) of the Republic from
1862 to 1871.
and the cultural authorities of the country welcomed the idea
with enthusiasm and gathered a large number of works of art
and other objects related to local history, while Cibrario
invited many of his friends to donate works of art and
archaeological finds to the Republic.
room gathers some works constituting the first donations to
the State Museum by the Knights Gaetano Spelluzzi, Alfonso
Reichmann and Carlo De Bruch in 1865. Particularly important
is the Spelluzzi’s donation, rich in medieval and renaissance
objects and paintings of different provenance and great value.