during the 16th and 17th centuries, the buildings of the
Republic were embellished with good quality paintings of
different provenance. Some excellent works are still visible
in the churches of the historical centre and in other parts of
Most of the paintings produced
after the 1640s come from the Bologna and Guercino schools.
Among those collected in this room, particularly important and
valuable is Saint Filippo Neri by the Guercino (1657).
However, a special place has
been assigned to a big 18th century painting by Pompeo Batoni
depicting Saint Marino with the Republic in his hands
(1740). This precious painting of great historical and civil
relevance refers to the happy conclusion of a dramatic and
famous episode of San Marino history: the occupation by the
papal troops ordered by Cardinal Giulio Alberoni, Legate to
Praiseworthy for its elegance is
also a small marble statue representing the Republic by
Stefano Galletti from Cento (1876). This is an autographed
replica on a smaller scale of the statue located in front of
the Government Building.
This room also contains a relief model of the
City of San Marino in the 18th century and two engraved wooden
chests coming from the ancient Government Building.