1565 the Consiglio Principe e Sovrano (Parliament) decided to
build a convent for “professed nuns” in San Marino.
Construction works went on, with many interruptions, until
1609, when the first twelve enclosed nuns of the order of
Saint Chiara arrived in the convent. Subsequently, the
building was enlarged in order to host up to twenty-two nuns,
like the number of the cells.
The Clarisse moved to a new convent in
Valdragone in 1971, leaving the old building which, together
with its furnishings, vegetable garden and church, was
purchased by the State in 1968 to be used for cultural